Do you ever find yourself wanting to experiment with projects but your lack of space or resources holds you back? Seeed Studio's XIAO SAMD21 is the perfect solution!
Seeed Studio XIAO Series are very small development boards, sharing a similar hardware structure, where the size is literally thumb-sized. The code name "XIAO" here represents its half feature "Tiny", and the other half will be "Powerful".
XIAO SAMD21 powered by SAMD21G18 chip is an ultra-small, high-performance universal development board, the pioneering product of the XIAO series. It supports Arduino / Micropython / CircuitPython development, which is the perfect microcontroller for you to get started with electronics.
- High Performance: Powered by SAMD21G18 chip, operating up to 48MHz, equipped with 32KB of SRAM, and 256KB of onboard flash memory
- Ultra-small Design: 21 x 17.5mm, Seeed Studio XIAO series classic form factor, suitable for wearable devices
- Multiple Development Interfaces: 11x analog / 11x digital Pins, 1x I2C interface, 1x UART port, and 1 SPI port
- Multiple Develop Platform: Support Arduino / Micropython / CircuitPython development, friendly for beginners, satisfied for electronics enthusiasts
- Perfect for Production: Breadboard-friendly & SMD design, no components on the back
Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 carries the powerful CPU-ARM® Cortex®-M0+(SAMD21G18) running at up to 48Hz. In addition to the powerful CPU, it has 256KB Flash and 32KB SRAM on board and supports the USB Type-C interface which can supply power and download code.
Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 has 14 PINs, which can be used for 11 digital interfaces, 11 mock interfaces, 10 PWM interfaces (d1-d10), 1 DAC output pin D0, 1 SWD pad interface, 1 I2C interface, 1 SPI interface, 1 UART interface, Serial communication indicator (T/R), Blink light (L) through pin multiplexing. The colors of LEDs(Power, L, RX, TX) are green, yellow, blue, and blue. Moreover, Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 has a Type-C interface that can supply power and download code. There are two reset buttons, you can short-connect them to reset the board.
Except for the power LED, we add a user LED on board for a better coding experience. Usually, a dev board as small as this size will use the chip’s inner crystal oscillator for time fixing, in order to make the clock more accurate, Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 layouts an extra 32.768KHz to make the clock more stable.
Moreover, Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 is friendly to the communities for its strong software compatibilities, which support Arduino, Micropython, and CircuitPython. Except for the software, flexible I/O allows it to speak to almost any external device.
Note: XIAO SoM User Manual open-sources all hardware and software materials of XIAO, providing professional product design guidelines to help you accelerate ideas off the ground, streamline product design, providing a seamless experience from module selection to mass production. You can check here to see more info.
You can have access to the Seeed Studio Grove ecosystem by connecting it to the compatible Grove Shield for Seeed Studio XIAO. For example, you can make a Pocket Distance Alarm by connecting the Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 with a Seeed Studio Grove Shield for Seeeduino XIAO, a Grove - Circular LED, a Grove - Vibration Motor, and a Grove - Time of Flight Distance. Get started and explore the infinite possibilities of the Seeed Studio XIAO series!
By the way, we've set up a Tinyml channel on our Discord server, please click to join for 24/7/365 making, sharing, discussing, and helping each other out.
We already have 5 XIAO products based on different solutions in the Xiao family, to help you better understand the differences and choose the most suitable part for your projects, please refer to the Seeed Studio XIAO Series Page.
- Wearable devices
- Rapid prototyping (directly attached to the expanded PCB as a minimal system)
- Perfect for all the projects that need a mini Arduino
- DIY keyboard
- USB development (USB to multi-channel TTL/USB host mode, etc.)
- In a scenario where you need to read multiple mock values The DAC output
Attention: All the I/O pins are 3.3V, please do not input more than 3.3V, otherwise, the CPU may be damaged.
- CPU: ARM Cortex-M0+ CPU(SAMD21G18) running at up to 48MHz
- Storage: 256KB Flash,32KB SRAM
- I/O PINs: 14 GPIO PINs,11 analog PINs, 11 digital PINs, 1 DAC output Pin
- Interface: 1 I2C interface,1 UART interface, 1 SPI interface, USB Type-C interface
- LEDs: 1 user LED, 1 power LED, and two LEDs for serial port downloading
- Reset button: Two reset buttons short-connect to reset
- Software compatibility: Arduino IDE
- Dimensions: 21x17.5 mm